The Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) has its roots in the history of the Federal Office of Economics (BAW) and the Federal Export Office (BAFA)
The Federal Office of Economics was founded in 1954 in Frankfurt; its first name was Federal Office of Trade and Industry. In 1975 its headquarters were transferred to Eschborn. BAW’ s predecessor was the Central Office of Economics established in 1946 as the central economic administration, followed by the Administrative Office of Economics founded after the economic integration of the British and American Zones in summer 1946, and after the political union in 1947 by the Economic Administration of the united economic territory. After the foundation of the Federal Republic of Germany the economic and political tasks were taken over by the Federal Ministry of Economics. The executive tasks remained in the authority that was renamed Federal Agency for Trade of the Manufacturing Industry in 1951.
The Federal Export Office was founded in Eschborn in 1992 against the background of increasing proliferation risks.
As a result of the Federal Government’s programme “A modern state – a modern administration” the Federal Office of Economics (BAW) and the Federal Export Office (BAFA) were joined together by law on 21 December 2000 to form the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA). This union contributes to a more efficient administration. In particular in the area of internal administrative tasks synergy effects can be used.